Battle Royale

Battle Royale - Koushun Takami, Yuji Oniki A friend of mine recommended this book to me and I'm really glad I read it because I've never read anything as intense as this book. It's a bit like Lord of the Flies with a twist and it's a lot more violent. It's set in Japan in a world with a totalitarian government and where the view on reality T.V. has become so distorted that seeing people kill each other has become entertaining to watch. In this society a junior high school class is selected each year and taken to a secluded place in order to compete for survival. The students are forced to kill each other until there is only one winner/survivor. This is the story of the students of the Shiroiwa Institute/school who are abducted by order of the government during their school field trip. They are drugged and left unconscious in the bus and then they wake up in a class room with electric collars around their necks.It's a really awesome and exciting story that will make you laugh, cry and keep you anxious from beginning to end.