The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - I didn't really know what to expect with this book, I kept hearing about how great it was all over the internet so I decided to give it a read without ever reading the summary. This book really captured me for different reasons.The first reason is that in my opinion this book is really well written. I like Chbosky's choice of narrative...I don't think the book would have had the same effect if it wasn't written as Charlie's letters to an anonymous friend. I feel the narrative really captures you and allows you to enter Charlie's world. I personally didn't really identify with the anonymous friend but knowing that this character was writing to someone made him seem more real to me. The second reason I loved this book is because, considering CharlieĀ“s age and psychology, it makes sense for him to write anonymous letters to someone. His degree of loneliness during high school makes me really believe that he was trying to reach out to someone in anyway he could (specially since email wasn't as common when this book was written).....Maybe this part has some spoilers (don't risk it if you don't want to and skip to the other paragraph).......The third reason I loved this book was because I loved Charlie and I don't really mean as a character but as the person I imagined he would be like. Book aside, I really believe that studying psychology changes your way of thinking...maybe it's because in my case at the beginning all the practice in trying to diagnose and understand came from watching movies and reading books. I think the reason I love Charlie so much is because I empathize with his particular way of being in a professional and personal way...this made me keep reading in the hopes that he would somehow figure out what was bothering him. I wasn't surprised by the ending, I had sort of figured it out before but I kept waiting for him to have a moment of discovery and I hoped he wouldn't become completely psychotic when he did, even though all of the signs pointed towards that path. Honestly I found this book incredible. I was paralyzed and silent after I finished it. The ending gave me goosebumps and I'm really glad I read it. It has a Catcher in the Rye feel to it, but it didn't really bother me. I think the reason I liked this book and hated Catcher in the Rye is because even though Charlie and Holden have some similarities (teen angst), the both have different personalities in formation. Holden is more like a pessimistic antisocial narcissist while Charlie has more of a schizotypal passive aggressive personality in formation. I recommend this book to teenagers, young adults and adults for the pure pleasure of reading something interesting that I believe we all can relate to in a way.