City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) - Cassandra Clare I didn't really like this book as much as I liked the first one of the series. Even though the story line was a lot more interesting in this book I had trouble tolerating certain characters. I can't seem to like Clary, I didn't really like her that much in the first book but I thought she might grow on me, alas this still hasn't happened. I also have a strong dislike for Jace. I know he is the heartthrob of the story, but I can't get past the fact that he is an ass all the time. I seriously think that the whole dark/mean/or initially evil love interest is giving young girls a skewed perception of what a healthy romantic relationship is like in real life. For me Jace is the equivalent of Edward Cullen and Christian Grey in the ways they treat women in general. I'm sure many will hate me for saying this but it's just my opinion and I just want to be honest with anyone who reads this and myself (in case this actually helps someone who feels similar to me about this subject decide if they want to stop or continue reading). The only noble thing I feel Jace did in this book was what he did for Simon (I won't go into details...in fact I'll just leave you hanging).For the other part I feel Cassandra Clare doesn't give us a rich description of most of the characters of the story. We all know who Clary, Jace and Luke are in a way. We also know that Valentine is a malignant narcissist psycho, but I still feel like I'm missing information about characters that have a lot of potential like Isabelle, Alec and Max (specially Isabelle and Alec since they've been around since the first book). On a personal note my favorite characters are Luke, Magnus, Simon and Maia. For some reason they are the least annoying characters in this series. Character issues aside I definitely will continue reading because the story is really good and unique.