Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) - E.L. James I heard a lot of different things about this book, so I had to read it for myself to form my own opinion. Being completely honest I understand the allure of the book, but it is definitely not my type of story. This reads like fanfiction and what I mean by this is that it lacks depth and the writing is a bit poor. I thought the book was quite boring because nothing was really going on. I mean the book is quite long but it was based on events that happened in like 3 or 4 weeks, and basically nothing really happened. All I saw happening was constant sex between both characters and by the time I was halfway through I was already bored with it. I don't even feel the sex scenes were that exciting either. The first few were interesting but then I started to realize that it was the same sex scene over and over with different props, no changes in the language...nothing new to look forward to either. I also have to say that I can't believe they are in love with each other, they barely know each other and Christian is a egocentric jerk. I honestly don't see how so many women would like a man like him, when will modern women understand that jealousy and possessiveness aren't healthy factors in a relationship. The need Christian has to control is pathological and I frankly think Ana is in dire need of psychiatric help because a women shouldn't be so excited about entering an emotionally abusive relationship (I don't even think the S&M Christian practices is the real issue, I think that it's the way he treats her emotions and feelings). I just feel like this is the type of book that may be misinterpreted because the author makes it sound like a passionate idealized story. I think many young women with low self-esteem are more likely to enter emotionally abusive relationships and this book in a way may make some believe that this type of love is ideal...a frantic, passionate, painful love. You can tell that this book started out as twilight fanfiction...the story line is quite similar if you take away or add the supernatural aspects. In Fifty Shades Christian's dark tendencies represent the fact that Edward is a dangerous vampire and of course Ana can't stay away from all of this. I'd like to add one more thing that completely annoyed me while reading this book. I don't understand why Ana needed a subconscious and inner goddess participating in every though all the time. It kind of felt like she had multiple personality disorder while reading and also quite intrusive and annoying. It's like even though those two were part of Ana, I still felt like I could never reach her because these two kept intruding during those parts. I think as a writer you still could try to find another way to communicate the ambivalent emotions Ana was feeling for Christian without adding so many characters. I don't really recommend this book...I highly doubt you will learn something from this book or find something of value in it. It's good to pass the time....until about halfway through...then it starts getting boring, but that's just my opinion.