Men and Dreams in the Dhauladhar

Men and Dreams in the Dhauladhar - Kochery C. Shibu I have to admit I had a lot of trouble getting through the first couple of chapters, for various reasons. The main reason was that there seemed to be a lot of characters appearing, without having any previous introduction or description. At times it felt like the author expected us to know and understand what was happening without creating a big setting for us to fully integrate the characters in our minds. Another reason I had trouble was the language... this reason is obviously more personal. I'm not really familiar with the some of the foreign terms that were included and when they weren't really described I had to look for definitions elsewhere in order to comprehend what was being done...or what the characters were referring to. The writing itself seemed to be going through and initial crisis, which made me think that maybe Shibu wasn't certain what style of writing he wanted to partake in this narrative. Luckily this was only in the first couple of chapters, the writing becomes a lot more pleasant afterwards. I must admit I had trouble connecting to the characters because I like having a greater psychological perspective on them, and I felt this somewhat lacking in the story. Despite of this, I did feel the characters should be commended by all their efforts and suffering throughout the book. Their resilience was quite inspiring, considering all of the circumstances.On the other hand the writing was very descriptive and one could easily imagine certain surroundings that were mentioned throughout the book. I was really happy when things started to click near the middle and end of the book. On a very personal note, I think Shibu did a very good job, considering this was his first book published. Even though there is a lot of room for improvement, there is also a lot of potential and I really want to see how his writing develops in his future novels. I think that if he can get to the style portrayed in the middle of the book in the first couple of chapters his writing would improve incredibly.