Water for Elephants: A Novel

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen I had a bit of trouble getting into this book. I've been reading a lot of reviews and many people enjoyed the beginning more than the end....I think for me it the was opposite. The book at the beginning seemed very detailed and slow pace...I really had to fight my way through it. The moment Rosie shows up the whole thing changes. I think I had way too many expectations for this book and I was slightly disappointed when I felt like I was trying hard to like the book and enjoy the reading experience at the beginning. The writing is really good, the style in which it's written as well but I just had that small issue with the beginning. I found the ending really great...so great I considered giving the book 4 stars, but I still couldn't get past my boredom during the first half of the book. I guess I was left with the feeling that Sara Gruen spent too much time trying to fix the setting and a short time getting the story moving once everything was set and introduced. Jacob is a likable character and so is Marlena, but I think Rosie is the one who really steals the show. I didn't even care that much for the romance in the story...I just cared about Rosie because I felt that even though she was an elephant she had the most personality. I also felt that as a reader I didn't get to know the characters that much, sure I knew certain things but I still felt something was missing. I still think this book is a good read and I do recommend it to everyone. Even though I wasn't too amazed by it I feel like there is a part of the book that will stay with me forever...I don't really know what but I was left with a special feeling that told me I will never forget this book. I think that it's definitely worth the read and that everyone should give it a shot because this book has something special.